While researching my family history I discovered Private John William Lowcock.
In honor of his memory and service, I am sharing the information I discovered.
Private John William Lowcock (Rifleman)
Birth: 1886, St Helens Lancashire.
Death: 10th August 1916 (Battle of the Somme – Killed in Action)
Grave: Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 7 A and 7 B
Note: Thiepval Memorial is a memorial to the missing from the Somme. There is no grave for John, he is listed on the memorial wall.
Conflict: World War I
Rank: Private, Rifleman
Service Number: 240933
Unit: 1st/5th Batallion, South Lancashire Regiment
Research in progress.
John is listed in records as being married to Elizabeth (nee Hayes) and having 3 children. Nellie, Elizabeth, and Hannah.
John was working as a Warehouse Laborer prior to the war. His residence was 30 Clyde Street, St Helens.
Father Alfred Lowcock (d. 1893), Mother Hannah (nee Norris) Lowcock.
Siblings. Elizabeth Lowcock, Elizabeth was his twin. Alfred Lowcock (younger brother). John also has step-sibling as his mother remarried after the death of his Father.
Service Records and Other Photos
Lowcock Family History
If you would like to learn more about the Lowcock surname and family history, please visit the Lowcock History page.
You can learn more about Lowcock Genealogy, or specific Lowcock family member:
- Lowcock Plough: a type of turnwrest plough, invented by Henry Lowcock
- Lowcock’s Lemonade: a soft drink brand
- Lowcock Mill: a hydro-electric mill located in Linton, Yorkshire
- Lowcock Fuel Economiser: for fuel efficiency in steam engines
- Lowcock Razor: a straight razor, made by George Lowcock
- Lowcock Dairy: a Dairy located in Pendleton, UK.
- Arthur Lowcock and Blackpool Tower: a director of the company that built Blackpool Tower
- CF Lowcock (Charles Frederick): A British painter from the Victorian/Edwardian era
- Lowcock War Memorial: pages dedicated to those who serve
This page is maintained by Joshua Lowcock.Last updated: January 14, 2019 at 15:21 pm