Views of Blackpool Tower (Book)
Arthur Lowcock, inventor of the Lowcock Fuel Economiser was a Director of the company the helped build Blackpool Tower. A very kind visitor to this website (Paul Baddely) has a copy of the book “Views of Blackpool Tower” which was formerly in the possession of Arthur Lowcock. Paul was kind enough to contact me and share some photos, all of which are below.
The “Views of Blackpool Tower” book is ~125 years old and according to Paul, it’s about 2′ long and 16″ wide and 3″ thick weighing n at 7.7lbs (3.5kgs). There is no publisher or publication date and the photos have writing on the back (possibly in pen or crayon) suggesting it may have been some sort of private album.
In the original auction for the book “Views of Blackpool Tower” is described as black and grey leather cover impressed in gilt, opening to reveal a series of 17 loose monochrome photographic images, depicting the tower at different stages of construction, some marked Beverley & Son, the inner cover of the album marked in pen.
Paul sent several photos, eight (8) of Blackpool Tower under construction, I’m sharing the ones directly linked to Arthur Lowcock first, followed by other photos of Blackpool Tower during construction.
Arthur Lowcock Signature / Bookplate
Arthur Lowcock Ownership History
Views of Blackpool Book Cover / Spine
Blackpool Tower Construction Photos with Notes
Some trivia first, Blackpool Tower is 519′ tall. The photos are captioned variously as “168′ floor level”. I am assuming that this means they were counting each foot as a floor (these days there’s about 14′ to a floor). These are rare original black and white photos of Blackpool Tower during construction. I do not own the original book or photos. If you do use these photos, please link back to this website.
Lowcock Family History
- Lowcock Plough: a type of turnwrest plough, invented by Henry Lowcock
- Lowcock’s Lemonade: a soft drink brand
- Lowcock Mill: a hydro-electric mill located in Linton, Yorkshire
- Lowcock Fuel Economiser: for fuel efficiency in steam engines
- Lowcock Razor: a straight razor, made by George Lowcock
- Lowcock Dairy: a Dairy located in Pendleton, UK.
- Arthur Lowcock and Blackpool Tower: a director of the company that built Blackpool Tower
- CF Lowcock (Charles Frederick): A British painter from the Victorian/Edwardian era
- Lowcock War Memorial: pages dedicated to those who serve
This page is maintained by Joshua Lowcock.
Last Updated: Last updated: December 22, 2019 at 21:35 pm