I discovered the existence of the Lowcock Dairy in Pendleton when this Cream Pot appeared on eBay. No, I didn’t bid nor do I own the cream pot.
The Cream Pot is inscribed as follows:
229 High Street
The cream pot itself measures about 3″ (7.6cm) tall.
I haven’t been able to locate High Street Pendleton on a map. However, Pendleton is an inner-city suburb of Salford, Greater Manchester, England, and there is a 229 West High Street Salford. Although, I honestly don’t know if it’s the same address. Suffice to say, it’s not a dairy today.
My other research, to date, has proven fruitless. I haven’t even been able to discover the name behind the initials “JWL”. Randomly guessing, there’s a James W Lowcock, but that could be way off the mark. So any help or insights would be appreciated.
Specifically for Lowcock’s Dairy. There is a court notice from 1936 that mentions that Charles John Batho was conducting business under the name Lowcock Dairy. This was published as a notice by his wife, Gladys Batho, in the London Gazette on March 9, 1937.
There’s also another notice from Gladys, regarding her husband, published June 23rd, 1937, in the Edinburgh Gazette.
Sleuthing on Ancestry.com, It appears Charles did pass in 1937. Which would suggest that the Lowcock Dairy left Lowcock family ownership many years prior. But at least it confirms the address.
I am sharing all I have discovered about Lowcock’s Dairy. I do not know if there is any relationship to me. If you can assist – please check out the Lowcock Family History Help Needed page.
Lowcock Family History
If you would like to learn more about the Lowcock surname and family history, please visit the Lowcock History page.
You can learn more about Lowcock Genealogy, or specific Lowcock family member
- Lowcock Plough: a type of turnwrest plough, invented by Henry Lowcock
- Lowcock’s Lemonade: a soft drink brand
- Lowcock Mill: a hydro-electric mill located in Linton, Yorkshire
- Lowcock Fuel Economiser: for fuel efficiency in steam engines
- Lowcock Razor: a straight razor, made by George Lowcock
- Lowcock Dairy: a Dairy located in Pendleton, UK.
- Lowcock Freemason: Bro. H. Lowcock, a Freemason
- Lowcock Hong Kong: Henry Lowcock, Sydney James Lowcock and the Lowcock name in Hong Kong
- Arthur Lowcock and Blackpool Tower: a director of the company that built Blackpool Tower
- CF Lowcock (Charles Frederick): A British painter from the Victorian/Edwardian era
- Joyce Lowcock: A playwright
- Lowcock War Memorial: pages dedicated to those who served
If you are researching Lowcock Family History and can help – visit the help needed page. If you want to understand the distribution of the Lowcock surname in the UK, visit the Lowcock map page. Just interested in the images and photos? Visit the Lowcock Genealogy Pinterest page.
This page is maintained by Joshua Lowcock.