This page is definitely a work in progress. If you can share anything, please contact me.
The Masonic Medal appeared on eBay but I was away and missed the opportunity to bid. I am not sure where this fits into the story of any of the people I have researched.
The medal reads RMBI (Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution) 1837. The RMBI is part of the Freemasons and is the charitable arm. The lower part of the medal has the motto “Kodes la Adonai” that translates as “Holiness to the Lord” and comes from Exodus 28:36.
The reverse of the medal reads Bro. H. Lowcock. I am not sure who the H Lowcock is – if you know, let me know!
And despite all of my Google-fu I can’t find anything on Brother H Lowcock. Instead, I ended up down a new rabbit hole, where I found a reference to a Freemason portrait featuring a Captain Lowcock. In the 1876 minutes of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Lincolnshire, UK.
I also found a random poorly converted to text link about Arthur Lowcock, Engineer who may or may not have been a Freemason in Shropshire, and the Salopian Lodge, no. 262.
So that means, I now need to find the following Lowcock Freemasons and Lowcock family members:
- Bro H Lowcock (~1837)
- Capt Lowcock (~1876)
Might possibly be Capt. Richard Lowcock, of the 19th Lancashire Corp. Richard is listed as resigning his commission on the 4th February 1880. I think this is now the Lancashire Fusiliers.
- Arthur Lowcock (~1876)
This could possibly be the one from the Lowcock Fuel Economiser. Although Shropshire is a long way from Manchester where Arthur Lowcock was based.
If you can help with Lowcock Freemason research, please contact me.
Lowcock Family History
If you would like to learn more about the Lowcock surname and family history, please visit the Lowcock History page.
You can learn more about Lowcock Genealogy, or specific Lowcock family member:
- Lowcock Plough: a type of turnwrest plough, invented by Henry Lowcock
- Lowcock’s Lemonade: a soft drink brand
- Lowcock Mill: a hydro-electric mill located in Linton, Yorkshire
- Lowcock Fuel Economiser: for fuel efficiency in steam engines
- Lowcock Razor: a straight razor, made by George Lowcock
- Lowcock Dairy: a Dairy located in Pendleton, UK.
- Lowcock Freemason: Bro. H. Lowcock, a Freemason
- Lowcock Hong Kong: Henry Lowcock, Sydney James Lowcock and the Lowcock name in Hong Kong
- Arthur Lowcock and Blackpool Tower: a director of the company that built Blackpool Tower
- CF Lowcock (Charles Frederick): A British painter from the Victorian/Edwardian era
- Joyce Lowcock: A playwright
- Lowcock War Memorial: pages dedicated to those who served
If you are researching Lowcock Family History and can help – visit the help needed page. If you want to understand the distribution of the Lowcock surname in the UK, visit the Lowcock map page. Just interested in the images and photos? Visit the Lowcock Genealogy Pinterest page.
This page is maintained by Joshua Lowcock.