While researching my family history I discovered Sergeant Alfred Lowcock.
In honor of his memory and service, I am sharing the information I discovered. Alfred Lowcock enlisted as a Bugler (Private) but progressed to Sergeant with a specialization in Bomb Throwing and served as Platoon Sergeant and an instructor in bomb-throwing.
Sergeant Alfred Lowcock (Bugler, Rifleman, Bomb Thrower)
Birth: 29th May 1892 Nelson, Lancashire, England
Death: 5 April 1947 (Aged 54 years)
Grave: Cheltenham Cemetary, SA.
Next of Kin: George Lowcock (brother)
Rank: Private later Sergeant
Service Number: 703
Unit: 12th Australian Infantry Battalion, Division F Company
Conflict: World War I
Medals / Recognition: Mentioned in despatches, 7th March 1917
I have an image of Alfred Lowcock’s enlistment record, the first page below (click the picture to expand).
I also have Alfred Lowcock’s full 22-page service record but haven’t yet read it but you’re welcome to download it.
- Date 20th October 1914
- From Hobart
- On number A2
- Ship Name Geelong
Medals / Recognition
Was mentioned in despatches, 7th March 1917 extract below.
There are references to 2 memorials, details as follows:
At the time of enlistment, Alfred is listed as being single. Occupation Station Hand. No address is listed.
Next of Kin is registered as George Lowcock (Brother) of the East Lancashire Regiment England England.
It is known from his grave that Alfred did marry later in life, his wife being Daisy Sophia (nee Clark)
Alfred is standing up and we believe the man on the left is his brother with East Lancashire Regiment This is a damaged postcard written in pencil on back “Alf Lowcock is standing up. I want you to send him one of mine if you have one but never mind if you have not any just let me know. George
(This was sent to Thomas George Clark’s Family no date, but prior to George’s death 07/09/1916)
Original Photo Source: Virtual War Memorial courtesy of Margaret Anne Mitchell (Grand-daughter of Alfred Lowcock and Great Niece of Thomas George Clark)
Lowcock Family History
If you would like to learn more about the Lowcock surname and family history, please visit the Lowcock History page.
You can learn more about Lowcock Genealogy, or specific Lowcock family member:
- Lowcock Plough: a type of turnwrest plough, invented by Henry Lowcock
- Lowcock’s Lemonade: a soft drink brand
- Lowcock Mill: a hydro-electric mill located in Linton, Yorkshire
- Lowcock Fuel Economiser: for fuel efficiency in steam engines
- Lowcock Razor: a straight razor, made by George Lowcock
- Lowcock Dairy: a Dairy located in Pendleton, UK.
- Lowcock Freemason: Bro. H. Lowcock, a Freemason
- Lowcock Hong Kong: Henry Lowcock, Sydney James Lowcock and the Lowcock name in Hong Kong
- Arthur Lowcock and Blackpool Tower: a director of the company that built Blackpool Tower
- CF Lowcock (Charles Frederick): A British painter from the Victorian/Edwardian era
- Joyce Lowcock: A playwright
- Lowcock War Memorial: pages dedicated to those who served
If you are researching Lowcock Family History and can help – visit the help needed page. If you want to understand the distribution of the Lowcock surname in the UK, visit the Lowcock map page. Just interested in the images and photos? Visit the Lowcock Genealogy Pinterest page.
This page is maintained by Joshua Lowcock.